Saturday 27 November 2010

[*] The Hardware Pt.1

Lets start with the absolute basics, your gear. Whilst hardware is always irritatingly expensive it can have a big impact on your game and should never be overlooked.

Your Computer:
Very obvious but not to be ignored is the machine you play on. Don't for a minute think that having a beastly PC is going to improve your game, sadly that is unlikely, however having a good stable frame rate in game can make your play more consistent. In TF2 I always look to get around 125-200 fps out of my game, whilst most monitors can only display 75 screen images per second you can sense any variation in FPS even above that. If your computer cannot output 120 fps then you should try to optimize both your computer and your game, firstly with an in game config to tone down the graphics by more than just the increments on the options screen and secondly by tweaking your OS and closing other programs that may run from start up or that you have launched prior to your starting your game, I'll talk about this in detail later on. If you are considering upgrading your system to get more frames, then you should remember that TF2 is based on the source engine and as a result the component bottle necking your FPS is likely to be your CPU and not your graphics card. I cannot stress how much having a reliable system can contribute to consistent play and I shall talk about capping your FPS for consistency later.

My top tip however when it comes to the computer is to check all of your USB ports and find out their version. A few years ago at i35 when I arrived and set up my PC I plugged my mouse into different USB port to the one I normally used. I had terrible mouse lag and assumed I had broken during the journey, I bought a new one but had the same problem and my play was as a result very poor. What had happened is that the USB port I had used at the event was a v1.1 and at home I had been using a v2.0. I never considered changing the port because it didn't occur to me that could be the problem.  So I recommend you have a quick look at your system specs and don't accidentally plug any of your gaming hardware into a shit port.

Not all USB ports are born equal

Your Monitor:
A very important piece of kit! When it comes to games the feature your looking for is refresh rate. Generally LCD monitors use a refresh rate of 60Hz, 75Hz 120Hz (Only these can run 3D so all 3D monitors are ergo capable of120Hz). Refresh rate is the amount of updates the screen receives per second and you should be able to see how a higher Hz means smoother game play on screen. Anyone who says that the human eye can only make sense of x number of images per second and that higher refresh rates are a placebo or pointless has obviously never seen a 120Hz LCD monitor or high operating CRT. It does make a big difference and it's the reason why you see many professional players in eSports still using archaic CRT monitors which until recently were the only type of monitor that could display above Hz.

The first thing to do is look up your monitor's specifications and find its max operating refresh rate, then double check that it is operating at it in the windows display options (I have found that sometimes windows gives options for Hz that the attached monitor cannot run, so don't set it to anything your monitor doesn't have in its specs). I personally ran my old monitor at 60Hz for years until I found out it could run 75Hz. If you use a different monitor at any point be aware it may being running a refresh rate your eyes are not familiar with and you will be able to tell. A higher refresh rate means more fluid game play which I feel not only makes gaming more pleasant but is easy on the eyes and helps your stay more alert.

Response time and input lag are another two things to consider. Response time relates to screen blur from what I can tell, and having a clear image at all times is very important as it stops you missing things. Input lag is the time it takes to the monitor to react to what the computer sends it. Most input lags are around 0.02 of a second, so it doesn't make a huge difference, but if through fault, or just a dreadful monitor the response time gets closer to 0.1 you can begin to see the lag in just moving the mouse over the desktop. Avoid input lag because it messes up your game so much as I discovered with my mouse USB issue which was similar.

My precious 120Hz <3

Your Keyboard:
Undoubtedly the least important peripheral, but not to be overlooked. This is the only time I would not recommend a specifically gaming orientated device. Almost everything about the keyboard is preference. You should go with a keyboard that has a keystroke you find responsive and pleasant. Personally despite the price of the new wave mechanical keyboards just being released for gaming I have one on pre-order because I love the responsive feel of mechanical keys when I'm playing. I also like back lighting because it looks cool. Feet that hold the keyboard firm on your desk are VERY important as there is nothing more annoying than your keyboard slipping when you go for an epic flick shot. Consider coating the feet in blue tack if thats a problem you have.  Wrist rests are also worth thinking about, if you have one, you may well become very reliant on it, and if you then move over to a keyboard that doesn't use one your going to have to spend time adjusting. Oh and universal media keys are great because you don't have to alt tab if a shit song comes on while your death matching your face off.

Overpriced, over the top expensive mechanical keyboard with pointless gaming features.. PRE-ORDERED!

Your Headset/Headphones and Microphone:
iPod ear buds are not suitable for gaming. A good player makes use of sound and it can be an incredibly useful  even in TF2 for pinpointing players who have infiltrated your flanks and neutralizing them before they can do any damage. It's also pretty funny meatshot pre-firing people as they run round corners and then listening to them call you a cheater. Sound in TF2 is weak and I feel Valve did a poor job with it, as a result you need good quality sound to make the most of it, and for that you have to be willing to spend a bit of money. I personally prefer headsets to separate mic+headphones because they are generally cheaper, although when one breaks you have to replace the whole, which is annoying if your one of those put your face in a yogurt pot and forget you have a mic on your face types. Speakers are not an option, sorry, they completely rape your voice comms, i.e when you speak you will be giving horrible feedback, furthermore they don't give enough precision. Don't be drawn in by surround sound etc, they are just headphones, ultimately they just do right and left, and luckily enough that is all you need to judge direction. I always look for headsets with a volume control/mic mute on the wire and strongly recommend SteelSeries Siberia v2s because they look the business and do everything right despite the price. If you do get gear with an external volume control, always make sure its on max for gaming so you can use a consistent volume.

Basshunter is also a fan of the Siberias

No comments:

Post a Comment